– Water was unbelievably buoyant. Minimal effort to propel forward.
– 3 loops counter-clockwise. Advantage for those who breathe on the left side like me.
– Difficulty in sighting on the way back to shore because of the sun.
– Course may have been short by about 400 meters at least.
– Out and back route.
– Spin at 85-90 rpm throughout.
– Even as the others passed me, focused on holding back the urge to speed up.
– Nutrition was adequate. Consumed 2 and a half cans of Ensure as well as 2 bottles of Gatorade. Threw my old bottle at the turnaround.
– It was a fast ride going out to the turnaround but had to fight headwind/crosswind coming back. It was getting a bit hotter at this point as well.
– Felt good throughout the race. Maintained speed of about 33.3km/hr.
– Baby steps at the beginning.
– Hills began at about the 3km mark.
– Was able to run at a decent pace upon reaching Subic.
– Adequate aid stations offering Coke, Gatorade, water, bananas. I especially liked the ones where blocks of ice were also offered. Did not resist putting some inside my jersey.
– Weather was not as hot as it was at Camsur.
– On the way back, Fiona passed me at heartbreak hills. Gotta love that running form.
– Stride finally opened up on the downhills. Didn’t let go anymore till I reached the finish.
– Finishing time not important. Experience is what counts.
Next Stop: Asian Duathlon Championships