- Got to the venue around 3:30 pm and was happy to see quite a few runners, young and old alike, gearing up for the 5K and kiddie races that day.
- All my four children were entered, ages ranging from 2 to 7 years old🙂
- While I was real excited for my children’s first official race, I was also trying to temper their expectations. Well, you know how kids are in games, etc. It’s either win or lose for them, there is no middle ground. So, I was reminding them all the usual B.S. about “it’s all about having fun” and “finishing a race is what’s important and that in itself makes them winners”🙂
- As we approached the chute, I was surprised that the NB representatives were quite strict in enforcing the rule that only race participants were allowed inside. While my 3 older children can probably manage on their own, my youngest daughter would surely get trampled along the way😦
- My wife and I decided then to just let our 3 older children to start the race while their sister meet up with them around the bend.
- Matthew, David and Joshua were pretty excited and just like Foreign Runner, lined up at the head of the pack!!
- I told them to line up at the back instead so they won’t get hurt.
- I was waiting around the bend when the gun went off. And off they ran!!!
- My third child, Joshua, was leading while David and Matthew were following closely behind. I found it real cute that they had their game faces on🙂 Serious talaga mga to ah.
- I was trying to capture the whole event on video, so I was busy scampering from one child to the other. Boy, and I thought doing triathlons was hard :-O
- I didn’t get to see Gracie leave the chute. And as it turned out, she ran quite a bit and smiled for the spectators at the start before Mommy had to carry her as they caught up with the other siblings🙂 You can see her picture at Bards’ blog (bananarunnng.wordpress.com) Thank you Bards for including my daughter in your recap🙂
- Of the 3 boys, it was Matthew who had a hard time running. So, Josh and David would stop every now and then and wait for Matt.
- There was a water station at the halfway point and we posed for some pictures :)
- Towards the finish, it was David who finished first, followed by Joshua. And then about 5 minutes later, Matthew and Gracie finished as well🙂
- It was quite a workout for all of us including my wife and our yayas who accompanied the kids all the way🙂
- It was unfortunate though that while David and Josh were able to get loot bags, Matt and Gracie were left empty-handed because apparently the organizers ran out of supplies😦 Matt was a bit upset but got over it when I told him we’re gonna swim afterwards🙂 I guess Extribe still accepted onsite registration for the kids’ race so that must have explained why they ran out of loot bags. Oh well.
- It was still a fun race and I’m glad our family survived the New Balance Kids’ Race :)
Power Failure Recap:
- The failure was mine and mine alone as I didn’t meet my pre-race target of a 5:30 pace. As you must have read in the other blogs, Extribe did a good job with the New Balance Power Race🙂 I expected nothing less from Extribe who are the same people behind Whiterock Triathlon.
- I should not have checked the route the night before. The route psyched me out, hahaha. I was defeated even before I ran the race.
- I returned the Garmin 405 to Philip after the race. Just thought I’d let you in on my lap times for the 25K:
KM 1 – 5:47 KM 14 – 5:17 (downhill kasi)
KM 2 – 5:25 KM 15 – 5:34
KM 3 – 6:01 KM 16 – 5:42
KM 4 – 5:40 KM 17 – 6:04
KM 5 – 5:31 KM 18 – 6:15 (the start of the 4 km trek up towards the ruins)
KM 6 – 5:46 KM 19 – 6:31 (suffer! suffer! suffer!)
KM 7 – 5:48 KM 20 – 6:26 (shuffling, no longer running at this point)
KM 8 – 5:45 KM 21 – 6:29 (will it ever end?)
KM 9 – 5:49 KM 22 – 5:58 (finally!)
KM 10 – 6:03 KM 23 – 5:48 (almost there)
KM 11 – 5:54 KM 24 – 6:09 (malapit na talaga, last hill)
KM 12 – 6:00 KM 25 – 5:29 (told you I’d do a 5:30 split🙂 )
KM 13 – 5:35
- Unofficial results are out showing that I finished with a time of 2:27:43🙂
- Yup, the robot is only human after all🙂